Sunday, December 2, 2012

Hot water or cold water freeze first

Is it a question?

 Many people do not think it is a question. Because it is obvious that cold water will freeze first. However, yout intuition falls again. Actually, it is a tough question which is not explained by sicientists. I will introduce this problem in the blog.


A student named Mpemba found that the hot water will freeze first than cold water. He introduced the phenomenon to public. Does his experiment was right?

Actually, many other scientist did it again and got the similiar results. Butall the results were same. There were some other experiments indicated that cold water freezes much faster than the hot water.

So which was right and which is wrong? The scientist did not find the answer. Both of the results are reasonable. The phenomenon had been found about 40 years and still make scientists confused.

But one thing is certain that in some situation hot water will freeze first.

You can do an experiment in your refrigerator. Tell me your result.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Applier! I am finding the topics you are writing about completing new and fascinating! Since I am not a physicist and I don't think about matters of freezing points and balances in the way you do, you are opening an entirely new world for me! Thank you!

    I think I might conduct my own little experiment with liquids tonight, but then how do I measure the freezing if I am asleep?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very glad that you like my blog. Sometimes, physics can be interesting.

      The process of experiments are boring. But the results are interesting. So I guess you can not fall sleep when you do it. Expecting your result.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Applier.
    Your blog entries are so exciting.
    Actually, I did this experiment last night. My result was....

    Cold water froze first.

    Do you think I made some mistakes??
    I'm disapointed wiht my result because I expected hot water would freeze first, and I was going to be surprized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, in many experiments, hot water freeze first. But it is not absolute that hot water freeze first. SO I do not think you are worong.

      If you want to do another experiments, I give you 2 advice. First, you can use coffee instead of water and stir it before you put it in refrigerator.Second, the hot water can be very hot and much less than 100 C.

      Delete